- 1 Where can I find a list of my military awards?
- 2 How do I find my father’s military medals?
- 3 How do I find old Marine records?
- 4 How do you find out what war medals A veteran was awarded?
- 5 Can I claim my father’s ww2 medals?
- 6 How do I find unit awards?
- 7 Can lost military medals be replaced?
- 8 What is a protected veteran?
- 9 Can you get a Purple Heart replaced?
- 10 How do I find my Marine records?
- 11 How do I look up marine records?
- 12 Can you look up a Marine?
- 13 How do I display ww2 medals?
- 14 How do you find out why someone was mentioned in despatches?
- 15 Did everyone who served in ww2 get a medal?
Where can I find a list of my military awards?
You can mail a letter to the headquarters of the Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine Corps in case of a problem or an appeal. Additionally, veterans and active service members can go to the administration section of their company or squad to get copies of their records and apply to receive medals.
How do I find my father’s military medals?
Requests for replacement medals should be submitted on Standard Form 180, “Request Pertaining to Military Records,” which may be obtained at VA offices or the Internet at www.va.gov/vaforms/.
How do I find old Marine records?
A former Marine may request a copy of his/her records directly from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by writing:
- National Personnel Records Center. 1 Archives Drive.
- Director. Navy Personnel Command Pers-312D2.
- Headquarters US Marine Corps.
- Department of Veterans Affairs.
How do you find out what war medals A veteran was awarded?
You can search and download these documents direct from the National Archives Discovery Catalogue: (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm). There is a small charge for download of the document.
Can I claim my father’s ww2 medals?
Service veterans are entitled to receive medals in recognition of their Service if they meet the qualifying criteria. If the Service person is deceased, the immediate next of kin is entitled to receive any medals. The immediate next of kin will be the spouse – but if also deceased, it will be the eldest child.
How do I find unit awards?
Units should locate the orders for the award, and then may contact Awards and Decorations Branch at USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.TAGD- AWARDS @MAIL.MIL to place a request. If a unit is the main unit cited in the award, they will receive a citation and certificates for any subordinate units that received the award.
Can lost military medals be replaced?
Requesting Replacement Awards and Medals Generally, the military services will issue replacement medals for the veteran at no cost. This includes family members with the signed authorization of the veteran. If the next-of-kin is requesting replacement medals there may be a cost.
What is a protected veteran?
• Other Protected Veteran A veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge was authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
Can you get a Purple Heart replaced?
Who can request replacements? To have government-issued medals and awards like The Purple Heart replaced by the government, the request must come from the veteran (including family members with the signed authorization of the veteran) or next-of-kin. However, you can purchase replacement medals from commercial sources.
How do I find my Marine records?
You can request your military records in any of these ways:
- Mail or fax a Request Pertaining to Military Records (Standard Form SF 180) to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).
- Write a letter to the NPRC.
- Visit the NPRC in person.
- Contact your state or county Veterans agency.
- Hire an independent researcher.
How do I look up marine records?
You can find veterans’ military service records from World War I to the present from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). The NPRC houses many types of records, including Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF).
Can you look up a Marine?
Find an Active Duty Marine You’ll need to contact the World Wide Locator at Quantico at 703-784-3942. Hours are from 8 am to 4pm Monday thru Friday. Be prepared to provide a social security number for common last names.
How do I display ww2 medals?
Medals are worn by hanging on the left breast from a single bar (up to a maximum of 5, or 3 for the Navy) or on a rectangular frame if Court Mounted.
How do you find out why someone was mentioned in despatches?
Signs that a soldier had been mentioned Not all “mentions” appear in this way in the medal index cards or rolls. Another way is from medals or photographs of them. If they show a bronze oak leaf affixed to the ribbon of the Victory Medal, then the man had been mentioned in despatches.
Did everyone who served in ww2 get a medal?
The War Medal 1939–1945 was instituted by the United Kingdom on 16 August 1945 and was awarded to all full-time personnel of the armed forces and Merchant Navy for serving for 28 days, irrespective of where they were serving, between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945 inclusive, the full duration of the Second World